According to a survey of 2,100 businesses conducted by Applied Research and commissioned by Symantec, the vast majority of businesses are frequent victims of cyber attacks, data loss and non-existent backup and recovery systems.
Here are just a few of the shocking facts discovered:
- 74% of the businesses surveyed were affected by cyber attacks – including hackers, viruses, worms, etc. – in the past 12 months.
- The average annual cost of these attacks was $188,242
- 62% had lost at least one mobile device in the last 12 months, and 100% admitted they had no password protection on these devices.
- 100 percent of these businesses said at least some of their lost devices had no password protection.
- Less than 1/3 of the devices lost had a way to wipe these lost devices clean to prevent unauthorized access to confidential data.
- 42% of businesses have lost confidential data in the last 12 months and 40% reported a direct financial loss because of this.
- 47% of those survey said they STILL do NOT backup their data!
To be perfectly blunt, this is just plain stupid and irresponsible behavior on the part of businesses who allow these attacks to happen. Even worse, it’s a black eye on their PR if the confidential information is CLIENT data, such as credit card numbers, bank account information, medical records or other important identity information like social security numbers, birth dates, passwords, etc.
ALL businesses know of the threats to their computer network, be it viruses, hackers or internal employees; not taking some simple measures to protect against theft and loss of confidential data is completely foolish – not to mention expensive!
If you have any doubt whatsoever about whether you’re backing up your data properly, protecting mobile devices and maintaining up-to-date firewall, patches and security updates, NOW is the time to get this fixed! Call us at 954-920-9604, or ask here for a free, no-obligation consultation, and we’ll be happy to review your current network security and backups to see if you truly ARE protected, or if you’re more likely to end up another statistic.